Author Topic: When not to chase a straight or a flush  (Read 3073 times)

GrabAll

• Freeroll Chaser
When not to chase a straight or a flush
« on: March 06, 2007, 11:52:49 AM »

Don't expect a miracle or the turn or river
Lot of players online who are always drawing for that possible straight or flush. If you only have three suit connected cards or three cards for your straight available to you after the flop, it’s asking a lot of Lady Lucky and not much of Sir Sensible to expect the turn and the river to deliver the miracle cards you need.

You’ll have a lot more profitable year with your poker if you learn when not to chase. A few small losses are easily made up by a big win. If you chase too often, your overall financial position becomes extremely difficult to recover

PLAYFUL1

• Freeroll Chaser
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 09:06:34 PM »
PEOPLE THAT CHASE STRAIGHTS AND FLUSHES TAKES BUSES :oops:

jwlaw35

• Freeroll Chaser
pick your spots
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 10:36:20 AM »
This is a great topic and has been one i long since have suffered great losses. I can not tell how many times ive hit my head on the table where some jack ass has come over the top on me when i flop a monster and see him flip over and catch a flush. Its a one in 4 chance i guess but no matter how many times i see it i hate it. And it seams to hit 50/50.
The things i keep in mind is if i have a high flush draw or open ended i try not to play aginst players im sure have some thing big and i dont want to chase with board pairs showing. alot of variables
Chips stack..do i realy need this one pot? or do i have enough to gamble or do i have so much that it wont hurt me
Averages..are the blinds coming and im desperate to make a hand
How good the player is im drawing aginst..is this player some one i am going to need some luck aginst to win? Some times i see these guys at the table..they are tight they are good and they dont play unless they got the goods. and it is going to take some luck to beat them! I will gamble with them if i think that is the only way i stand to get there chipies! heh
Jw

puzzykat

• STRAIGHT
Re: When not to chase a straight or a flush
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 02:52:42 PM »
 stop chasing gutshots!  it is not worth it.

unchosen

• Freeroll Chaser
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 05:45:16 PM »
stop chasing gutshots!  it is not worth it.

I chase them all the time. Only if it's small bets.

puzzykat

• STRAIGHT
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 03:22:53 PM »
i'll try to remember that you do and i will bet small just for you. :P

spiderman637

• PAIR
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 10:33:42 AM »
when u have a large amount, u can chase...
when u have medium chips, jst call or raise little...
thats my style anyways..

stopko

• Freeroll Chaser
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 01:06:58 AM »
I play ace high flush draws and the highest straight draws only.

DEAN_01

• Freeroll Chaser
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 11:02:49 AM »

When the board pairs u should let it go unless the bets are very small. 

One time this guy reraises another guy who raised preflop probably with a pocket pair.  My first hand in this ring game Bodog.  10 cent table he reraised to 2.50 it's a big preflop raise.  I felt like being a donk and I called with a5 diamonds.  This guy who reraised was a wild player, 2 diamonds hit the flop he bet something like the pot and 2 cards to my str8t hit and one was a diamond. 

I called the turn it's a diamond ( i hit my nut flush) he checks I check--- (just in case he has a set) ---the rvr comes I hit my str8t flush.  He pushes the rest of his stack, I pause -laughin-- and I'm all in.

lol  He had a5 off suit hit his str8t on the rvr.  He was hot.  He reloaded and pushed all in 3 or 4 times.  Then he slowed down when he had kk.  A few hands later I have about 16 bucs he has like 14.  I'm in middle position I limp with kk and this guy pushes all in from small blind with something like j7 I'm all in.  I'm doubled up again.  He left forgot to take notes before he dissappeared.

NELLOB

• STRAIGHT
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 03:17:57 PM »
Good advice, 'PLAYFUL'.  Must admit I am more than guilty in this respect.  Having read your post, I will endeavour to listen to your advice has much as possible.  Thanks.
NELLOB  MAN  OF  LEISURE  AND  POKER  LOVER

cobbie1966

• Freeroll Chaser
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 04:41:51 PM »
its always tempting to chase those cards,but only if your chips are nice an fat,but its most often a loser when you do this...

KCfromMARS

• PAIR
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 11:00:51 AM »
I am so guilty of this and same thing happens 2 me they get a flush on the river.  I will try 2 do better
TNX
KC

cobbie1966

• Freeroll Chaser
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 10:04:07 AM »
hmmm,bet people who does the chasin,prolly dont have much money in there poker accounts...ahye? yep took me a long time to get out of this habit...i was always waiten on that one card....didnt work

jimmyjay

• Freeroll Chaser
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 11:31:29 AM »
The time to chase is when you have a hand which will win more than one way.  If you have a possible straight and flush in the same hand headed by some high cards.  They are definitely worth chasing if you have the outs.
pstars-JesseGame
ap jnewberry
DoylesRoom, tilt and UltimateBet xxnewbsxx
Cake unclejimmy

FatBasset

• PAIR
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 05:49:09 PM »
The thing about chasing based upon implied odds is that most good players will fold when flush or straight card comes.  There is a lot to consider with stack sizes etc.  Adding a semi-bluff as part of your arsenal will help.