Author Topic: gut felling  (Read 1662 times)

signman85

• Freeroll Chaser
gut felling
« on: July 28, 2007, 06:55:46 PM »
Just wondering how many of you will go on a gut feeling, like you just feel your going to hit the flush or str8 or whatever. When I "chase" down a flush and get called a donkey and I tell them that I had a feeling they just laugh and call me more names, just curious.
You can be young only once, but you can be immature forever.

4DeadMoney

• Freeroll Chaser
gut felling
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 07:19:29 AM »
I think some of the best players do this when playing live, online I just go by the odds, it seems to work a lot better for me.

Arjonius

• Freeroll Chaser
gut felling
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 08:54:43 AM »
There's often an element of gut feel, even online.  In order to estimate the odds at any given time, you have to make an assumption about the opponent's hand range.  That's partly based on what can be called gut feel.  

Another example is when you bluff or make a play.  Doing so is based on some level of gut feel that it will work.  Again, the probability can be more a matter of feel than of accurately projecting the opponent's range, although the latter has to include enough hands to give you a reasonable chance of success.

YoYo888

• Freeroll Chaser
gut felling
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 06:07:57 AM »
When playing online I try to ignore that feeling and play the cards,odds,and if they are ppl I play with regular I will play their tendencies. Live games, I have been known to follow my "gut" at least till the flop (I wont usually get to deep on just the feeling but if I get in cheap I'll go with it) I was playing my local live league game tonight, for instance, I had been catching pretty good cards and hitting with them maybe half the time or better.Blinds were 500/1K We were down to final tble, I was about 3rd or 4th in chips and the cards were dealt I knew before I even touched them I was gonna play em. I was in 7th pos., one raise of 2xBB from 3rdpos 4th and 5th called 6th folded and I looked at 4c,5d and called, BB calls ev1 else folds flop comes 5c 4s 6c.It's checked to 5th who bet 3K I raised 9K to make it 12K about half my stack ev1 else is folded by now when he re-raises all in I got him covered with 5k to spare and a "GUT" feeling and never hesitated to call :roll: . Then he rolls over pkt5's  8O Then catching no help on the turn and river, I remembered why I'm not supposed to follow my "GUT" :oops:  :cry:
Sometimes you just gotta let it go.(and it went, lol)
Keep Your String Straight

squarer

• Freeroll Chaser
gut felling
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 03:00:10 PM »
Strange, I usually ignore my gut, probably because the rare time I don't, I usually don't hit.

jwlaw35

• Freeroll Chaser
what on earth
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 10:44:50 AM »
i hear people use that as an excuse for gambling lol ! When they look soo bad and win there gamble they try to make a reason for a bad play. they should just say..i decided to gamble..and own it!

Soft_Myst

• Freeroll Chaser
gut felling
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 12:27:24 PM »
I try not to play by gut feeling, it seldom works out well, but I still do it anyway. LOL

angalm

• Freeroll Chaser
that feeling
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 05:52:15 PM »
Sometimes I will go on that feeling and usually loose. But what is weird, when  I tell myself not to do that, what I am looking for usually hits the board. :roll: . I agree with others , go with the odds and paying attention helps alot. Gl at the tables all :D

puzzykat

• STRAIGHT
Re: gut felling
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 09:35:49 AM »
gut feeling or intuition  i use it.  not in the sense that "i know i'm going to win this hand"  but more like... i know he's bluffing kind of way.

pjr54

• Freeroll Chaser
    • Email
Re: gut felling
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 04:24:45 PM »
Poker should be played by the math, calling with bad odds will just get you killed.